We’re all gloriously complex individuals. People with similar health/cognitive symptoms each have their own combination of underlying causes. I offer support with personalized diet and lifestyle along with help navigating the numerous aspects of their individual version of the Bredesen ReCODE Protocol™.
Together, we figure out how to implement a holistic program
(← see infographic) tailored to your unique circumstances that addresses the root causes of your health issues. I serve as a bridge between individuals and their doctor so that they will be successful with the prescribed lifestyle modifications needed to nurture optimal brain health.
I deliver exceptional brain health coaching to guide, simplify, accelerate, and ease you into “living the Bredesen Protocol™”. Without expert help, individuals may remain unaware of what they don’t know and neglect aspects of the Protocol essential for success. Our partnership will propel you more quickly, easily, and intelligently toward vibrant cognition and robust overall health. Learn more about my qualifications here, including my former career in cell biology, functional medicine training, and current specialization in coaching brain health since January 2018. I now have a depth of experience and breadth of understanding the complex interconnected systems of the brain, body and mind beyond that of most other health coaches.
In coaching sessions, I help you:
- prioritize aspects of nutrition and brain healthy lifestyle as well as develop clarity for getting the most out of your limited time, money, and energy
- personalize the Ketoflex™ diet to your taste buds, ApoE4 status, insulin sensitivity, exercise habits, weight loss goals, fermentable fiber tolerance, cooking/dining preferences, and more, especially with guidance from a ReCODE Report™ or Bredesen-trained doctor
- immediately start nourishing your brain deliciously with grocery shopping, recipe, snack, and eating out ideas aligned with Ketoflex 12/3™
- uncover strategies to implement as much as possible of the Bredesen Protocol™ with effective brain challenges, stress management, and physical activities
- explore ways to improve your sleep and reduce total toxin burden based on the current evidence base
- understand your ReCODE Report™ analysis, lab tests, and supplements beyond what your doctor has time for and beyond what your insurance-network doctor can be compensated for
- keep you motivated so that you take small steps sustained over time
- ease into sustained nutritional ketosis (when that is a therapeutic goal) with a well-formulated diet
- understand the science behind diet/lifestyle changes, trophic support, and the basics of mycotoxin illness treatment (as relevant)
- generate a MoCA score and ReCODE Report™, for those subscribed to ReVERSE™, by administering the cognitive test and uploading your lab test results
- feel supported and relieved of overwhelm
- receive support at less expensive rates than doctors
- be heard when I listen to your story, learn from your triggers and past helpful actions, take in your current diet and lifestyle habits without judgment, get acquainted with your fears and hopes for the future, and understand areas you find challenging
After five coaching sessions with a few months of sustained effort, most people:
- feel more energized,
- have uplifted mood
- begin to feel more cognitive clarity,
- lose fat (if overweight),
- see improved biomarkers that put them at vastly less risk for future cognitive decline and other chronic diseases
Coaching packages, logistics, and fees
Ideally, my coaching doesn’t just adapt your lifestyle to prevent or reverse cognitive decline—it puts you on the trajectory to become a sharp, vital, physically capable, independent, kick-ass 90-year-old living well and contributing to the world.
I offer single consultations, five-session coaching packages (only for prevention), an eight-session series of coaching sessions, and concierge coaching. After determining which of the six options on this page would best suit you, I’m happy to answer your questions about my services during your free 20-minute phone consultation.
You’ll need to know that you are at the stage of preventionrather than reversal of cognitive impairment) for one of my five-session packages. If you are unsure of the significance of your “senior moments” and haven’t recently had a cognitive evaluation, please consider a single paid consultation that includes a MoCA or CNS-VS cognitive assessment as an initial measure of cognitive functioning to begin illuminating the path forward.
Coaching for PREVENTION
My prevention programs are suited for people who:
- are at the stage of preventing cognitive decline with a longer time horizon to optimize nutrition and lifestyle habits
- are motivated by a genetic predisposition, family history, and/or increasing their prospect for a long vibrant life such that they get basic lab testing and a cognitive assessment
- intend to optimize as many aspects of your diet and lifestyle as feasible to prevent dementia and enhance overall health
- are not yet experiencing significant memory/cognitive issues and have a MoCA score >27
If instead you already experience cognitive impairment, please see my “ReCODE” coaching further down this page.
5-Session Foundational Brain Health Coaching for Prevention
Designed for individuals, often 40-65 years of age, at the stage of prevention who have not subscribed to PreCODE™, ReCODE™, or ReVERSE™. Putting a brain healthy diet and lifestyle into actual practice “clears the muddy waters”, often for more economical and efficient treatment thereafter.
I pack an initial 75-minute and four 55-minute follow-up meetings with as much of brain health coaching that time allows.
To accelerate your progress, I share both my own proprietary extensive resources as well as handouts from the Institute for Functional Medicine’s tool kit. Your welcome includes a handy Ketoflex 12/3™ foods list as well as an IFM food guide and recipes. With each session, I deliver a valuable brain healthy diet/lifestyle guide. (Note that I’m prohibited from sharing proprietary information from my Bredesen Protocol™ training; my guides were created before MPI Cognition/AHNP Health/Apollo Health published practical resources and before my ReCODE Report™ Practitioner training.)
To minimize the financial burden of testing, you arrange for preventative health lab tests within your insurance plan, with the option to fill in important gaps with direct-to-consumer lab tests. I include forms to track important biomarkers, symptoms, and relevant lab test results. I encourage granting a release of information between myself and your doctor so that we can seek medical guidance as needed for your case. We may uncover a need to refer you to a doctor for underlying issues not resolvable with diet and lifestyle.
This package includes 15-minutes for administration of the MoCA cognitive assessment. Those confident that they have not yet experienced cognitive decline have the option to upgrade to order a CNS-Vital Signs test. All my coachees are granted access to a 30% discount on an array of quality supplements from my Fullscript formulary, including the brand Dr. Bredesen recommended before starting the LifeSeasons brand.
This package of five coaching sessions can be amazingly effective for people ready to put in the work to eat well and live a brain healthy lifestyle.
If your symptoms and lab biomarkers do not improve, the next step could be the PreCODE™ program, more advanced interventions from a Bredesen-trained doctor, and/or additional coaching sessions as desired. Please understand that you are not doing the official Bredesen Protocol™ without paying for a ReCODE Report™.
5 Sessions for “PreCODE” AKA Prevention of Cognitive Decline
Designed for individuals who invest in Apollo Health’s PreCODE™ or ReCODE™ program. Effective one-on-one health coaching for sustained behavior change takes a minimum of five sessions over up to five months.
If not provided by your doctor, I can administer the MoCA cognitive assessment and scoring needed to generate your ReCODE Report™. I pack an initial 75-minute and four 55-minute follow-up meetings with as much of personalized coaching that time allows. Our longer coaching session can be timed before or after your ReCODE Report™ is ready.
I share my practical guides for making diet and lifestyle changes as well as specific knowledge of San Diego resources for each step. I also provide a 30% discount on many Bredesen Protocol™ supplements.
We utilize your ReCODE Report™ to direct us to the highest priority nutrition and lifestyle practices for your bioindividual case. I can update your Report to track health progress over time. Please note that the highest level of personalization of your Bredesen Protocol™ can only be offered under guidance of a Bredesen-trained medical doctor.
Coaching for ReVERSAL of COgnitive DEcline AKA “ReCODE”
My ReCODE coaching packages are matched to people:
- at the stage of subjective cognitive impairment (SCI) with sights set restoring better cognition and enhancing overall wellness
- or diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) or very early Alzheimer’s dementia, who have subscribed to ReVERSE™, and are under the supervision of a Bredesen-trained doctor(s)
- who are ready to optimize nutrition and as much of the other lifestyle aspects of the Bredesen Protocol™ as feasible
Subjective Cognitive Impairment (SCI) is often readily reversible with diet, lifestyle, and a modicum of medical treatment. I’ve witnessed numerous patients with early hints of memory and/or cognitive issues reverse these problems, discontinue their need for multiple medications, and turn their health around. Achieving these same outcomes is very doable for most people with SCI when they have the assistance of an experienced health coach, a ReVERSE™ account, and treatment from a Bredesen-trained doctor.
Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI/pre-Alzheimer’s) generally requires more of an investment in medical treatment, accompanied by health coaching, for at least 6-12 months to realize improvements. I only coach individuals with MCI or early Alzheimer’s in conjuction with a supportive partner/caregiver when subscribed to Apollo Health’s ReVERSE™ program and working with a Bredesen-trained doctor (see Collaborative Care for further explanation).
8 Sessions for Prevention or Reversal of Cognitive Decline [8 Precode or ReCODE meetings]
This package is for people subscribed to PreCODE™, ReCODE™, or ReVERSE™. We’ll have an initial 75-minute coaching session and seven 55-minute follow-up sessions. Ample time allows us to unwind more of the underlying causes of dis-ease as revealed by your ReCODE Report™. The resources I provide will complement the online guides in your PreCODE™ or ReVERSE™ account.
Eight coaching sessions over six months (or less) grants us more time to build sustainable health habits–the foundation of vitality and cognitive clarity. It often takes time and personalized attention to overcome backslides and hurdles until your new default way of life provides the best environment for your brain, mind, and body to flourish.
Your ReCODE Report™, doctor’s guidance, and time exploring your current practices will identify the aspects of the Bredesen Protocol™ to prioritize. We shore up weak links in lifestyle–nutritional insufficiencies, sedentarism, poor sleep/low oxygen saturation, excess stressors, detoxification, inadequate cognitive challenge, etc–in order to revitalize your brain health. We proceed at the pace you’re comfortable with.
Take advantage of the powerful combination of ReCODE Report™, substantial diet and lifestyle coaching, and doctor’s care to reverse sub-clinical health issues than may have been simmering for decades. This is a solid plan for transforming your health.
More Coaching Options
4 Follow-up Coaching Sessions
“Follow-up” sessions are for patients I’ve already seen at a Bredesen-trained doctor’s clinic or clients who have completed a coaching package with me. A package of four 55-minute coaching sessions builds on and/or sustains progress. Seeing me by videoconference or phone outside of the clinic grants you coaching support at about half the price.
Single 55-Minute Consultation with Cognitive Assessment
One 55-minute videoconference can provide the MoCA cognitive assessment needed for a ReCODE Report™ and an initial cognitive measure. As a MoCA-certified health coach, I provide your scored MoCA cognitive assessment without medical diagnosis. Your MoCA score becomes your private information and I will never share it with anyone else without your express permission.
In the remaining time 35 minutes, I answer your general questions about brain health coaching and initiating the Bredesen Protocol™. Personalized health coaching requires a more time-consuming review of your intake information and cannot be provided within this single consultation. Half of your consultation fee can be deducted from a coaching package purchase made within the next month.
Generally, a MoCA score of 28 aligns with “prevention”. Although a MoCA of 26 or above is considered “normal”, it’s wise to seek further cognitive evaluation if your score falls below 28. The CNS-VS cognitive assessment is a more elaborate cognitive assessment suited for people suspecting subtle cognitive issues and likely to have a near perfect MoCA result. For an additional fee, the CNS-VS is taken online in the comfort of your own home under an anonymized identification. You’ll receive a complete CNS-VS Report and we’ll have a full 55-minutes for your consultation conversation.
Single 75-Minute Coaching Consultation with MoCA and ReCODE Report™ Generation
A single 75-minute videoconference is an option for those subscribed to ReVERSE™. I can generate your ReCODE Report™ after the consultation to help you plan how you will proceed and select a Bredesen-trained doctor. Having a Qualified ReCODE Report™ practitioner (me) at health coach rates administer the MoCA, ask the medical history questions, and enter the data for ReCODE Report™ generation is likely to save you money.
Use the remaining time to answer your general questions related to the Bredesen Protocol™. Though personalized health coaching cannot be provided within this single consultation (especially before you ReCODE Report is ready), $50 of your consultation fee can be deducted from a coaching package purchase made within the next month.
Custom-Tailored Concierge Coaching
I’m happy to tailor my brain health coaching to suit your needs. I offer fairly-priced concierge health coaching to serve as an experienced guide, educator, coach, and mentor for your Bredesen Protocol™. I track and charge $75/hour for all of my time, both face-to-face and behind the scenes, with a minimum eight-hour pre-paid retainer. Options range from accompanying you to a doctor’s appointment to a home visit pantry make-over and Ketoflex™ cooking lession to accelerate dietary change. Please arrange a phone call to describe what you have in mind.
How long it takes to realize major health gains and the extent of cognitive benefits vary.
While some people have an epiphany that triggers quick and lasting lifestyle change, many need multiple months of coaching to develop a brain healthy lifestyle. My aim is to expediently empower you to reach a maintenance phase when you feel so good that you never want to go back to previous, less healthy habits. Some of you accomplish this in just 5 or 6 sessions.
For instance, I’ve helped:
- a very organized, motivated, action-oriented client reverse subjective cognitive impairment (SCI) in three sessions (with accompanying medical treatment)
- numerous people restore health by reversing non-insulin dependent diabetes, normalizing blood pressure, and going off various medications under supervision of their doctors chiefly via the diet and lifestyle changes supported by six coaching sessions
- many people relieve their irritable bowel symptoms with a personalized version of the Ketoflex 12/3™ diet
- patients with MCI increase their cognitive performance and functioning for better quality of life within six months while receiving treatment from their doctor
Of course, each person’s health journey unfolds differently. Complex health problems and deep-seated habits require more time for resolution and referrals to appropriate practitioners.
Sessions are held by videoconference, over the phone, or in person.
I partner with people throughout the world. The Zoom videoconference app is relatively easy to launch and allows multiple people to meet via a smart phone/laptop/computer equipped with a microphone, videocamera, and internet access. I provide instructions to make the technology simple to use. Coaching over the telephone is another option.
I also travel to meet people face-to-face in the clinic, within the comfort of their home, or at a San Diego library for an additional charge (depending on the distance). Click to see my common meeting locations.
My general hours are 10:00 am – 6:30 pm PST Monday-Thursday, with priority given to group videoconferences in the evenings and La Jolla clinic appointments on Monday and Thursday mornings.
A small investment in health coaching can yield priceless feelings of vitality and mental sharpness. Consider what coaching support is worth to you before reviewing my coaching fees.
If you have reviewed this page (thanks!) and determined that my coaching could help you, then you are likely someone I’d be pleased to partner with. Please use the contact form at this link to arrange a free 20-minute conversation about your situation, how I can help, and whether we’re mutually a good fit.