We’re all gloriously complex individuals. People with similar symptoms each have their own combination of underlying causes and unique paths to robust health. I support therapeutic diet and lifestyle change and help you navigate the numerous aspects of their personalized Bredesen Protocol™.
Together, we figure out how to implement a holistic program
(← see infographic) tailored to your circumstances. I guide, simplify, accelerate, and ease you into “living the Bredesen Protocol™”. I serve as a bridge between individuals and their doctor to help them be more successful with the prescribed lifestyle changes needed to nurture optimal brain health. I help people execute their doctor’s treatment plan at the cost savings of receiving the care that can be delivered within the scope-of-practice of a ReCODE-qualified health coach (instead of paying physician rates).
My breadth of experience and education, including my former career in cell biology, functional medicine education, and training to specialize in brain health coaching, continue to build my understanding of the complex interconnected systems of the brain, body and mind. This allows me to deliver exceptional care beyond that of most other health coaches. My expertise can highlight aspects of the Protocol you might be unaware of or neglecting–keys to realize more vibrant cognition and overall health.
Ideally, my coaching doesn’t just adapt your lifestyle to prevent or reverse cognitive decline—it puts you on the trajectory to become a sharp, vital, physically capable, independent, kick-ass 90-year-old living well and contributing to the world.
In coaching sessions, I help you:
- prioritize aspects of nutrition and brain healthy lifestyle as well as develop clarity for getting the most out of your limited time, money, and energy
- personalize the KetoFLEX™ diet to your taste buds, ApoE4 status, insulin sensitivity, exercise habits, weight loss goals, fermentable fiber tolerance, cooking/dining preferences, and more, especially with guidance from a ReCODE Report™ or Bredesen-trained doctor
- immediately start nourishing your brain deliciously with grocery shopping, recipe, snack, and eating out ideas aligned with KetoFLEX 12/3™
- uncover strategies to implement as much as possible of the Bredesen Protocol™ with effective cognitive challenge, stress management, and physical activities
- explore ways to improve your sleep and reduce total toxin burden
- understand your ReCODE Report™ analysis, lab tests, and supplements beyond what your doctor has time for and beyond what your insurance-network doctor can be compensated for
- stay motivated so that you take small steps sustained over time
- ease into sustained nutritional ketosis (when that’s a goal) with a well-formulated diet
- understand the science behind diet/lifestyle changes, trophic support, and the basics of mycotoxin illness treatment
- generate a MoCA score and ReCODE Report™, as needed for PreCODE™/ReCODE™ subscribers, by administering the cognitive test and uploading your lab test results
- feel supported and relieved of overwhelm
- receive lifestyle support at less expensive rates than doctors
- iterate, tweak, and troubleshoot your diet and lifestyle program to help you feel your best
- be heard in order to learn from your triggers and past helpful actions, proceed from your current diet and lifestyle habits without judgment, and understand your challenges and hopes
After five coaching sessions with a few months of sustained effort, most people:
- feel more energized,
- have an uplifted mood
- begin to feel more cognitive clarity,
- lose fat (if overweight),
- see improved biomarkers that put them at vastly less risk for future cognitive decline and other chronic diseases
Coaching packages, logistics, and fees
The descriptions below will help you choose from:
- 5 sessions for FOUNDATIONAL Brain Health*
- 5 sessions for PREVENTION to support PreCODE™ subscribers*
- 5-8 sessions for REVERSAL to support ReCODE™ subscribers and their caregiver(s) in collaboration with their Bredesen-trained doctor
- Single 55-minute CONSULTATION or follow-up coaching
- Single 75-minute CONSULTATION + MoCA + ReCODE Report™ Generation for ReCODE™ subscribers with lab testing
- CONCIERGE and custom coaching packages
- FOLLOW-UP brain health coaching
*For us to partner without a Bredesen-trained doctor, you’ll need to clearly know that you are at the stage of prevention (rather than reversing cognitive impairment). A MoCA, CNS-VS, or other cognitive test will help determine where you stand and can be included in any of my coaching offerings above. If you are unsure about “senior moments” and haven’t recently had a cognitive evaluation, consider a single paid consultation including a MoCA or CNS-VS as an initial measure of cognitive functioning to begin illuminating the path forward.
Coaching for PREVENTION
My prevention programs are suited for people:
- at the stage of preventing cognitive decline with a longer time horizon to optimize nutrition and lifestyle habits
- motivated by a genetic predisposition, family history, and/or increasing their prospect for a long vibrant life such that they get basic lab testing and a cognitive assessment
- not yet experiencing significant memory/cognitive issues and have a MoCA score greater than 27
- intend to optimize as many aspects of your diet and lifestyle as feasible to prevent dementia and enhance overall health
If instead you already experience cognitive impairment, please see my “ReCODE” coaching further down this page.
5-Session Foundational Brain Health Coaching for Prevention
Designed for individuals, often 40-65 years of age, at the stage of prevention who have not subscribed to PreCODE™/ReCODE™. Putting a brain healthy diet and lifestyle into actual practice “clears the muddy waters”, often for more economical and efficient treatment thereafter.
I pack an initial 75-minute and four 55-minute follow-up meetings with as much of brain health coaching that time allows.
To accelerate your progress, I share both my own proprietary extensive resources as well as handouts from the Institute for Functional Medicine’s tool kit. Your welcome includes a handy KetoFLEX 12/3™ foods list as well as an IFM food guide and recipes. (Note that I’m prohibited from sharing proprietary information from Apollo Health.)
Lab testing may be arranged within your insurance plan, plus the option to fill in important gaps with direct-to-consumer lab tests. I include forms to track important biomarkers and symptoms. We may uncover a need to refer you to a doctor for further investigation.
While this package includes my administration of the MoCA cognitive assessment, I encourage those confident that they have not yet experienced cognitive decline to upgrade to a more extensive CNS-Vital Signs cognitive test. All my coachees are granted access to a 25% discount on an array of quality supplements from my Fullscript formulary.
This package of five coaching sessions can be amazingly effective for people ready to put in the work to eat well and live a brain healthy lifestyle.
If your symptoms and lab biomarkers do not improve, the next step could be the PreCODE™ program, more advanced interventions from a Bredesen-trained doctor, and/or additional coaching sessions as desired. Please understand that you are not doing the official Bredesen Protocol™ without a ReCODE Report™ from Apollo Health.
5 Sessions for “PreCODE” AKA Prevention of Cognitive Decline
Designed for individuals who invest in Apollo Health’s PreCODE™ program. Effective one-on-one health coaching for sustained behavior change takes a minimum of five sessions over up to five months.
If not provided by your doctor, I can administer the MoCA cognitive assessment and scoring needed to generate your ReCODE Report™. I pack an initial 75-minute and four 55-minute follow-up meetings with as much of personalized coaching that our time allows. Our longer coaching session can be timed around when your ReCODE Report™ is ready.
I share my practical guides for making diet and lifestyle changes as well as specific knowledge of San Diego resources as needed for your case. I also provide a 25% discount on many Bredesen Protocol™ supplements and a 10% discount on LifeSeasons supplements.
We utilize your ReCODE Report™ to highlight the highest priority nutrition and lifestyle practices for your bioindividual case. I can update your Report to track health progress over time. Please note that the highest level of personalization of your Bredesen Protocol™ can only be offered under guidance of a Bredesen-trained medical doctor.
Coaching for ReVERSAL of COgnitive DEcline AKA “ReCODE”
My ReCODE coaching packages are suited for people:
- at the stage of subjective cognitive impairment† set on restoring cognition and enhancing overall wellness
- OR diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment‡ OR very early Alzheimer’s dementia‡ AND have subscribed to ReCODE™ AND are under the supervision of a Bredesen-trained doctor(s)
- ready to optimize nutrition and other lifestyle aspects of the Bredesen Protocol™ as much as feasible
†Subjective Cognitive Impairment (SCI) is often readily reversible with diet, lifestyle, and a modicum of medical treatment. I’ve witnessed numerous patients with hints of memory and/or cognitive issues reverse these problems, discontinue their need for multiple medications, and turn their health around. Achieving these same outcomes is very doable for most people with SCI when they have the assistance of an experienced health coach, a ReCODE™ account, and treatment from a Bredesen-trained doctor.
‡Mild Cognitive Impairment (MCI/pre-Alzheimer’s) generally requires more of an investment in medical treatment, accompanied by health coaching, for at least 6-12 months to realize improvements. I only coach individuals with MCI or early Alzheimer’s (1) in conjunction with a supportive partner/caregiver, (2) when subscribed to Apollo Health’s ReCODE™ program, and (3) working with a Bredesen-trained doctor (see Collaborative Care for further explanation of 1-3).
8 Sessions for Reversal of Cognitive Decline
ReCODE™ subscribers need ample time for unwinding the underlying causes of dis-ease revealed by your ReCODE Report™. Eight coaching sessions over six months grants us more time to build sustainable health habits–the foundation of vitality and cognitive clarity. It often takes time and personalized attention to overcome backslides and hurdles until your new default way of life provides the best environment for your brain, mind, and body to flourish. The resources I provide will complement the online guides in your ReCODE™ account.
Your ReCODE Report™, doctor’s guidance, and time exploring your current practices will identify the aspects of the Bredesen Protocol™ to prioritize. We shore up weak links in lifestyle–nutritional insufficiencies, sedentarism, poor sleep/low oxygen saturation, excess stressors, detoxification, inadequate cognitive challenge, etc–in order to revitalize your brain health. We adjust the pace to your needs.
Take advantage of the powerful combination of ReCODE Report™, substantial diet and lifestyle coaching, and doctor’s care to reverse sub-clinical health issues than may have been simmering for decades. This is a solid plan for transforming your health.
*Option for a shorter series of five ReCODE coaching sessions if we have completed initial session(s) through your doctor or when appropriate after a paid consultation.
More Coaching Options
Single 55-Minute Consultation with Cognitive Assessment
A 55-minute videoconference can include the MoCA cognitive assessment needed for a ReCODE Report™ and/or an initial objective cognitive measure. Your MoCA score becomes your private information and I will never share it with anyone else without your express permission. Generally, a MoCA score of 28 aligns with “prevention”. Although a MoCA of 26 or above is considered “normal”. It’s wise to seek further cognitive evaluation and medical diagnosis if your score falls below 28.
The CNS-VS is a more elaborate cognitive assessment suited for people suspecting subtle cognitive issues and likely to have a near perfect MoCA result. For an additional fee of $40, the CNS-VS is taken online in the comfort of your own home with anonymity. You’ll receive a complete CNS-VS Report and we’ll have a full 55-minutes for our consultation conversation.
If you are new to me, I answer your general questions about brain health coaching and initiating the Bredesen Protocol™. Personalized health coaching requires a more time-consuming review of your intake information and cannot be provided within this single consultation. Half of your consultation fee can be deducted from a coaching package purchase made within the next month.
If you are returning for a single meeting after more than three months, I’m able to provide personalized health coaching as an extension of our previous coaching agreement. This will be most productive if I review new lab results you submit, update your ReCODE Report, and/or examine a current diet & lifestyle journal (subject to an extra fee if this takes >15 minutes). This consult is time to re-evaluate, make adjustments, and celebrate your progress.
Single 75-Minute Consultation with MoCA and ReCODE Report™ Generation
My single 75-minute videoconference helps new ReCODE™ subscribers who invest in the baseline suite of lab testing (included with the $780 walk-in Quest Labs panel). This consultation is suited for those more carefully selecting a long-term program to treat this life-threatening condition. During our longer consultation, I’ll administer the MoCA and ask the medical history questions. Afterwards, I’ll make the data entry for your ReCODE Report™ which will be generated once your blood lab tests come in. Having your ReCODE Report™ in hand can be helpful when committing to an appropriate 6+ month program, when selecting a Bredesen-trained doctor that specializes in your identified subtype, and when finding a health coach who can support you with issues shown in your Report. You’ll likely save money by having a health coach rather than a doctor complete these initial steps of the Bredesen Protocol.
Use the remaining consultation time for answering your general questions related to the Bredesen Protocol™. $50 of your consultation fee can be applied toward a coaching package purchase made within the next month.
I’m happy to tailor my brain health coaching to suit your needs. I’ll serve as an experienced guide, educator, coach, and mentor for your personalized Bredesen Protocol™. Options range from accompanying you to a doctor’s appointment to a home visit pantry make-over and KetoFLEX™ cooking lession to accelerate dietary change. Please arrange a phone conversation to describe what you have in mind.
I may also support you within a comprehensive 6-month program designed by a Bredesen-trained doctor.
4 Follow-up Coaching Sessions
A series of four 55-minute “Follow-up” sessions, for patients/clients I’ve already seen, builds on and/or sustains progress.
How long it takes to realize major health gains and the extent of cognitive benefits vary.
While some people have an epiphany that triggers quick and lasting lifestyle change, many need multiple months of coaching to develop a brain healthy lifestyle. My aim is to expediently empower you to reach a maintenance phase when you feel so good that you never want to go back to previous, less healthy habits. Some of you accomplish this in just 5 sessions.
For instance, I’ve helped:
- a very organized, motivated, action-oriented client reverse subjective cognitive impairment (SCI) in three sessions (with accompanying medical treatment)
- numerous people restore health by reversing non-insulin dependent diabetes, normalizing blood pressure, and going off various medications under supervision of their doctors chiefly via the diet and lifestyle changes supported by six coaching sessions
- many people relieve their irritable bowel symptoms with a personalized version of the KetoFLEX 12/3™ diet
- patients with MCI increase their cognitive performance and functioning for better quality of life within six months (concurrent with treatment from their doctor)
Of course, each person’s health journey unfolds differently. Complex health problems and deep-seated habits require more time for resolution and referrals to appropriate practitioners.
Sessions are held by videoconference, over the phone, or in person.
I partner with people throughout the world. The Zoom videoconference app is relatively easy to launch and allows multiple people to meet via a smart phone/laptop/computer equipped with a microphone, videocamera, and internet access. I offer instructions to help with the technology. Coaching over the telephone is another option.
I also travel to meet people face-to-face in the clinic, within the comfort of their home, or at a San Diego library for an additional charge (depending on the distance). Click to see my common meeting locations, many have outdoor space where we can meet with social distancing.
My general hours are 10:00 am – 6:30 pm PST Monday-Thursday, with priority given to group videoconferences in the evenings and clinic appointments on Monday and Thursday mornings.
Having support to build new diet and lifestyle habits can mean the difference between success and failure with your personalized Bredesen Protocol™.
A small investment in health coaching can yield priceless feelings of vitality and mental sharpness. For those with cognitive issues that compromise their employment, investing in restoring cognitive functioning ultimately yields financial gain. Consider what coaching support is worth to you before reviewing my coaching fees.
If you have reviewed this page (thanks!) and determined that my coaching services are what you’re looking for, then please use the contact form at this link to arrange a free 15-minute conversation to determine if we’re mutually a good fit.